Sunday, July 12, 2009

I Can Now Honestly Say I am From a the Great State of Embarrassment

The State Capitol of Texas at DuskImage by Stuck in Customs via Flickr

What is going on in this state? Cops in El Paso who never heard of Lawrence v Texas, masked men shutting down bars in Dallas. It really makes me wonder who in Austin is turning Texas into a police state. Rick Perry is the most likely candidate but of course there is no proof of that. Yet. The State House in Austin has been very quiet about all of these occurrences.

It really embarrasses me to be from a state where these things are not only allowed but sanctioned by the police. I try to look for the good in all of this. I try to take solace in the fact that a national spotlight is shining on the bigotry. Frankly I find it depressing and more than a little scary. I won't be going out now without a camera.

I believe that the state is trying to control us the same way they controlled African Americans in the late 50's and early 60's: Beat 'em back and teach them a lesson. Scare them into staying quietly in the background. The louder we are, the more oppression we can expect. We have to stay loud. We have to accept the oppression and deal with it. That is the only way we will ever have equal protection under the law.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment